Work Based Learning
Any enquiries you may have regarding WBLcan be sent to the SBS employability hub at email@example.com.
- The Workbased Learning Module is a compulsory module at level 6 and requires that you complete 25 days (175 hours) of work experience;
- Work full time during the summer break prior to your final year, or part time during your final year;
- You will need to decide if you will be able to manage your studies and a part-time job;
- If not, you need to be looking for a summer job alongside your placement search, as a backup should you not manage to get a placement’;
- Work can be paid or unpaid and in any industry sector;
- It is your responsibility to find your own work experience for this module. However, there are many resources available to help you and many opportunities for you to access through SHU.
- As soon as you have found work, you must complete the registration form and return that for the work experience opportunity to be approved.
- On your first day of work you must read the health and safety information below, fill in the health and safety checklist and return that to be registered.
- While you are working you must complete a reflective diary (minimum 25 entries), see guidance below.
Ongoing - Internships, please see the SHU internships website for more information http://wblprojects.wordpress.com/
What you need to read (see download documents below*):
- Workbased Learning Reflective Diary Guidance
- Health and Safety information (two documents - Guidance Notes and Briefing Slides)
What you need to complete (see download documents below*):
- Work Experience Registration form
- Health & Safety Checklist
- Certificate of Completion of Voluntary Work
What evidence you need to show you have completed work experience:
You need to provide evidence that you have completed work experience. For paid work experience the easiest way to do this is to produce wage slips, one from the start of your work experience and one from the end - so keep your wage slips safe. Bring your wage slips to uni when term starts as you will need to hand them in to SHIP. For voluntary work experience you won't have wage slips so you must ask the organisation you are working for to fill in a Certificate of Completion (you can download this here*).
*You need to be logged into download these documents